Jan 2, 2007 (From the CalCars-News archive)
The bi-partisan 2007 Inaugural Committee is hosting an event called "Leading The Green Dream." On Thursday, January 4, the day before the inauguration ceremony, from 1-4PM on the south lawn of the State Capitol, it will feature live entertainment, food, educational and service activities for children, technology demonstrations, and guest appearances by prominent Californians. A CalCars PHEV will be one of five cars at the event. The San Jose Mercury News reports that Gov. Schwarzenegger, first lady Maria Shriver and former NBA star Vlade Divac will be the headliners. Here's the press release:
http://www.governors2007inaugural.com/site/apps/nl/content2.asp?c=gdJIKONpFiG&b=2292753&ct=3351333 Governor Schwarzenegger's 2007 Inaugural Kick-Off At Capitol Park: Leading The Green Dream To Celebrate California's "Green" Leadership Open-To-The-Public Event To Feature Entertainment, Food, And Activities For All Ages
Sacramento, CA - Today, the Governor's 2007 Inaugural Committee announced that inaugural festivities will kick-off at Capitol Park in Sacramento on Thursday, January 4, 2006 from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. with and an open-to-the-public event to celebrate the start of the Governor's second term and highlight California's leadership in environmental conservationism and commitment to clean technology innovation. The event, "Governor's 2007 Inaugural Kick-Off At Capitol Park: Leading the Green Dream" will feature live entertainment, food, educational and service activities for children, technology demonstrations, and guest appearances by prominent Californians.
"California is leading the world in so many areas - one of the areas I am most proud of is our green leadership. Californians are learning to live green, eat green, think green, innovate green and drive green. Working together, we are proving to the world that we can protect our environment while also keeping our economy thriving," said Governor Schwarzenegger. "Maria and I invite every Californian and their family to join us for this event as we kick-off the start of my second term as your governor and celebrate our state's environmental heritage."
"Governor's 2007 Inaugural Kick-Off At Capitol Park: Leading the Green Dream" is an open to the public event, free of charge, and will feature many activities for all ages, including:
- A program featuring Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger and First Lady Maria Shriver
- Special guest appearance by Former NBA Basketball Star Vlade Divac
- Interactive service projects for children including tree planting; school garden construction and planting; utilizing recycled business products to make harmonicas for area school children; and solar and alternative power demonstrations
- Healthy, organic, California Grown food provided by Albertsons, Traci's Gourmet Granola, Starbucks Coffee, Safeway, California Farm Bureau, and California Citrus Mutual
- Educational displays by the California Environmental Protection Agency, the Resources Agency, California Volunteers, green tech companies, and environmental organizations
- Display modes of biofuel, hydrogen, plug-in hybrid, natural gas, and fuel cell powered cars
- California Department of Fish and Games's 20 foot-long aquarium filled with fish from local rivers
- Live music performed by local Sacramento musical groups
The event will also feature the "Wall of Green Dreams." This mural designed by California artists will provide space for children to express their dream for the future of California. This wall will be featured in the lobby of the California Environmental Protection Agency building in Sacramento for one month following the inauguration and will permanently be on display in the California Museum for History, Women and the Arts. Also, to commemorate Governor Schwarzenegger's 2007 Inauguration, the Sacramento Tree Foundation will plant a California Redwood Tree in Capitol Park during the event.
In keeping with the Governor's commitment to alternative fuel development and his environmental leadership, all power for this event will come from biodiesel and biomass generators and solar panels. In addition, throughout the course of all of the Governor's inaugural events transportation for invited guests will be available in zero-emission hydrogen-powered fuel cell cars and buses powered by UTC Power and Ballard Power Systems provided in conjunction with the California Fuel Cell Partnership.